Implementing Cisco Data Center Network Infrastructure 1 (DCNI-1) v2.0 is a five-day data center-oriented course. The course starts with an overview of current data center trends, the evolution of data centers, and how to position available Cisco platforms for access, aggregation, and core layers of the data center.
The course content is primarily focused on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches, Cisco Catalyst 4900 Series top-of-rack switches, and, to a lesser degree, Cisco Blade Switches.
The course describes the hardware and software options for the Cisco Catalyst 4900 Series Switches, and considers platforms in the context of a data center network. A detailed discussion on Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch hardware and software architecture focuses on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch chassis, power supply, supervisor engine, line cards, and service module options. A new Virtual Switching System (VSS) functionality and configuration steps on how to deploy it are described. Catalyst 6500 features are discussed, focusing on the Cisco IOS modularity, quality of service (QoS) policy options and deployment, NetFlow, Cisco IOS Embedded Event Manager (EEM), Automated Diagnostic Tools, Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN), Remote SPAN (RSPAN), and Encapsulated RSPAN (ERSPAN).
You will learn about the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Firewall Services Module (FWSM), hardware and software architecture, available features such as address translation, transparent versus routed mode, management and traffic control options, device virtualization with contexts, routing deployment, failover, and deep packet inspection functionality.
The course describes Network Analysis Module (NAM) hardware and software architecture, the steps to provide initial configuration, and the data center-oriented NAM usage cases and configuration.
The course concludes with a discussion on high availability, focusing on Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), and Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP) first-hop failure solutions, and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch supervisor redundancy options.
The goal of the DCNI-1 curriculum is to enable you to build scalable, reliable, and intelligent data center networks using Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches equipped with FWSM and NAM service modules, Cisco Catalyst 4900 Series Switches, and Cisco Blade Switches.
This course is part of the following Certifications:
Cisco Data Center Networking Infrastructure Support Specialist (DCNI)
The knowledge and skills that you must have before attending this course are as follows:
- CCNP, CCIE Routing & Switching, CCIE Service Provider, or equivalent knowledge is required
The following Cisco courses are recommended so the student can benefit fully from this course:
- Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE)
- Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH)
- Troubleshooting and Maintaining Cisco IP Networks (TSHOOT)
Upon completing this course, you will be able to meet these overall objectives:
- Describe the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 4900 Series Switches, as well as Cisco Blade Switch family hardware options, data center architecture, and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch advanced configuration, management, and maintenance features
- Identify and implement traffic flows, including FWSM routed and transparent modes, supervisor-based packet acceleration, and FWSM-PISA integration
- Describe NAM hardware, implement initial configuration and use Cisco NAM to monitor network traffic
- Describe and deploy high-availability features in the data center
Who should attend
This course is intended for:
- Channel Partners/Resellers